Sharpal 196N Angle Pyramid.
When we talk about sharpening, we begin to deal with a complex topic and for this reason the market is oriented towards equipment such as Tormek,at sharpening stones,up to the use of the belt sanders machine, the sharpening systems Lansky,etc. I don’t even take into account the tools sold in kitchen stores to sharpen knives without having a modicum of knowledge.
This tool was born for manual sharpening on stone and goes to make you understand a fundamental element of the knife that is the sharpening angle.
Knowing the sharpening angles of a knife is essential to make the correct choices of wire angle according to the type and destination of the knife.
As you can see from the diagram:
- Very sharp blades sharpen to 10 – 15 degrees.
- Normal blades sharpen to 20 – 25 degrees.
- Knives that need a hard edge (such as those to cut) sharpen to 30 – 35 degrees.
- For an extremely long-lasting cut the blades are sharpened beyond 30 degrees.
This tools is useful for sharpening knives with sharpening stone and angle guide, it is sold in a 2-piece package with 4 universal angles (14°, 17°, 20°, 25°)
About the Sharpal 196N Angle Pyramid
- For a sharpening of the edge of the professional blade!
- 4 integrated universal angles: 14°, 17°, 20°, 25°.
- Patent-pending design that ensures the exact angle regardless of blade size.
- The orange angle guide has a magnetic base that can be applied to iron metal sharpening stones.
- The black one has a non-slip rubber base suitable for application on traditional sharpening stones, ceramic cote, etc.
- The price is about €12.99
Short guide to sharpening with stones
The secret of proper sharpening is the maintenance of thesharpening angle during the operation.
1) Place the abrasive stone on a stand that does not allow it to slide on the support plane. Usually the stones are provided with a special rubber support.
2) Choose thesharpening angle for, for example, for kitchen knives that are common to maintain a 15-20 degree angle but follow the pattern you’ve seen before based on the type of knife and its type of use. With higher angles the blade stays sharp for longer, but cuts less. Larger angles are used for knives (such as cleaver) that have to cut hard objects such as animal bones. Depending on the type of cut you need to apply it can be a good advice to have multiple knives with different sharpening angles to make the wire last. To maintain the sharpening angle, use your thumbas as in the figure below as a reference: if the blade is smaller than 13-15 cm, it only takes one inch, for larger knives use both of them.
3) Apply a continuous, circular or alternating movement to the blade on the stone, being careful to keep the sharpening angle constant and to keep the blade always in contact with the surface of the stone. To calculate the exact inclination of the blade, based on the following table: measure the width l of the blade, and get from the table the height at which you need to place the blade on the thumb. Important!! Always count alternating rotations or movements and repeat the same number from both sides. The number of movements varies depending on the hardness of the blade steel, it takes at least 50, up to 100 for the hardest steels.
So the real key to a nice sharpening of the knife is a suitable and constant angle on the bevel of the blade.
- Find the right angle for its use.
- Create that angle on the constant sharpening stone.
Here’s a general guide:
10 to 15 degrees This is the extreme. Razor blades and scalpels are in this group. Even quality knives with high-tenor steel can take this thin angle of sharpening and hold it for a long time.
Checking the blade to check for sharpening
The blade is sharp enlated when the dross chip is formed on the edge of the blade.
Learning to sharpen requires a lot of practice, really a lot and this tool can be useful to have a correct start of the sharpening angle and continue freehand.
Do not expect to get great results right away but try, try again and if you follow all the instructions calmly and precisely you will get a good sharpening.
In the house people always have knives that they do not use because they no longer cut ask people to let them give and sharpen them, exercise.
With time and experience, you will be able to get a blade with an incredible cutting ability! Make a good sharpening!
Are You Experience!?
If you liked what you read and it was useful to you before leaving the page share the article through the social buttons you see at the top and comment. Thank you very much!